Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How I Plan To Do Low-Carb

I've been thinking about this whole low-carb diet. At first I was so bummed. I mean, I am not a sweets person at all so, going without cookies, candy, etc.. isn't a problem (I don't eat them anyway). But the bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc... is where I know I am going to have the problem.

At first I was just dreading it. Thinking about all of the foods I am not going to be able to have. Then I realized that I was looking at it all wrong! Instead of concentrating on the "forbidden" items, I should concentrate on the allowed items. And, maybe try to recreate some lower-carb versions of my high-carb favorites.

For example, this morning I was trying to figure out what I was going to have for brunch (I do not usually eat my first meal until 10am or later). The box of cereal was so tempting and would be quick and easy. But, a no-no now. So I started thinking about my options. I didn't feel like any type of eggs at all! I opened the fridge and pulled out some leftover grilled chicken breasts from last night. Hmmmm, what to go with? I spotted the tomatoes and knew! I made oven roasted tomatoes topped with garlic, basil and melted mozzarella cheese. It was SO Yummy! Like bruschetta without the bread lol. Even my youngest daughter had some and liked it (she is the only other person in the house that eats tomatoes).

Tonight will be easier. Hot dogs with chili, onions and mustard (no bun) and homemade low-carb coleslaw for me. Regular hot dogs with corn on the cob for every one else. Tomorrow I may have eggs for breakfast...may not. LOL

So, I am starting to switch my thinking about what to eat and when. There is no reason I cannot have dinner for breakfast! And by substituting some ingredients I may be able to still enjoy some favorite foods. We will see. I am searching the web for good low-carb inspiration now (:

No comments:

Post a Comment