Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Planning Stage

The past couple of days I have been really thinking over my $75 a week Challenge. The Dear Hubby (Jeff) is skeptical if I can do it. I have inventoried my stockpile, the fridge and freezer to make sure of what I have already. the only problem I foresee is with the pet supplies. Having 6 cats that ONLY will use Tidy Cats kitty litter (with 3 litter boxes) and all pets on IAMS brand food, that may be my major challenge to work through.

I Have plenty of staples, the only items I should have to purchase for the month are: milk, eggs, juice, fresh fruit, bread, lunch meats, cheese, meats on sale, rice, popcorn (my favorite snack), TP, paper towels and the pet supplies. I follow the USDA guidelines for all meals and snack since I run a daycare. We usually don't keep a lot of junk in the house. Once in a while I may serve chips or cookies but it is not a daily occurrence.

I have also started looking at the amount we waste (leftovers usually get forgotten). I will have to either cut back on the amount I cook at Supper time or, will have to make sure the leftovers are turned into a new meal because my family doesn't like eating the same thing two nights a week. I have been pouring over my favorite cook books(Make It Fast, Cook It Slow by Stephanie O' Dea and The $5 Dinner Mom Cook Book by Erin Chase) for ideas. I now how some great new recipes to try while using my leftovers.

The new sales ads come out today for my local grocery store so I will start planning this weekend's shopping trips and next week's menus. Now the Challenge begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment